Health and Housing Task Force
The purpose of the Health and Housing Task Force is to address the health and housing crisis in our community.
The Task Force will be required to:
- Work with Nanaimo Homeless Coalition (the "Coalition") to: fulfill the Community Plan requirements of the Federal "Reaching Home" (Designated and Aboriginal) funding; and,
- Determine the optimal governance structure to implement the Nanaimo Action Plan to End Homelessness
- Oversee the implementation of the Coalition's Action Plan to End Homelessness and Nanaimo's Affordable Housing Strategy
- Provide recommendations to Nanaimo City Council on other issues arising from and giving rise to homelessness in our community (poverty, mental health, substance use disorders)
- Provide status updates on the progress of the Task Force to the Coalition
- Determine the connection between the Regional District of Nanaimo affordable housing initiatives and those within the City of Nanaimo
- Advocate for additional resources from all levels of government for housing, health and poverty reduction initiatives
- Participate in the creation of a health, housing and homelessness communications strategy; and,
- Address other issues as the Task Force sees fit.
To view meeting minutes visit the Meeting Documents and Videos Page.
Health and Housing - Design Labs
***NOTICE: DESIGN LABS (WEEK OF MARCH 23 - 26, 2020) ARE CURRENTLY POSTPONED DUE TO COVID-19. For more information on the City's response to COVID-19 please click here.
On behalf of the Health and Housing Task Force, the Nanaimo Homeless Coalition, and United Way Central & Northern Vancouver Island, we’re pleased to ask for your participation in our Health & Housing Design Labs.
Faced with growing numbers of people living on our streets, the unexpected impacts of the opioid crisis and the fallout of the affordable housing crisis, we are seeking innovative and practical approaches to addressing ongoing challenges.
The Design Labs are the starting point for a large shift in how we address issues around homelessness in Nanaimo. However, we cannot do it without your help.
Over the course of two weeks, we will host a series of solutions-based workshops on more than 20 topics around health, housing and homelessness. We ask you to join us at any sessions relevant to your experience and expertise. We also encourage you to
share this invitation with any colleagues or contacts you feel should participate.
By participating, you can help shape how we address these critical social issues and improve quality of life for all our residents. The information we gather through these two-hour sessions will be woven into an updated action plan on health and
housing. Please review the exiting plan to end homelessness here: 2018 Action Plan to End Homelessness.
For more information and to register your participation, please visit: nanaimohomelesscoalition.eventbrite.ca.
If you have any questions regarding registration, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Design Labs Registration
The labs will be held at St. Paul's Church Hall (side door entrance off of Chapel Street) , 100 Chapel Street, Nanaimo, BC. Please follow the links below to register.
March 2 - 6, 2020
Design Lab: Business
Sector Solutions (Monday, March 2nd: 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM)
Design Lab: Public
Awareness & Education (Tuesday, March 3rd: 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM)
Neighbourhood Based Solutions (Tuesday, March 3rd: 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM)
Lab: Legal & Justice (Wednesday, March 4th: 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM)
Lab: Spirit of Recovery - Supports for Mental Health, Addictions (Thursday, March 5th: 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM)
Design Lab: Social
Inclusion & Wellbeing (Thursday, March 5th: 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM)
Lab: Employment, Education, Poverty Reduction
(Friday, March 6th: 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM)
March 23 - 26, 2020 (POSTPONED) Design Lab: Systems
Coordination (Monday, March 23rd: 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM)
Design Lab: Filling
Gaps in the Housing Continuum (Monday, March 23rd: 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM)
Design Lab: Domestic Violence
& Gender-Based Responses (Tuesday, March 24th: 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM)
Exploitation & Vulnerability (Tuesday, March 24th: 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM)
Design Lab: Food Security (Tuesday, March 24th: 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM)
Supporting Seniors (Wednesday, March 25th: 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM)
Design Lab: LGBTQ2S
Diverse Communities (Wednesday, March 25th: 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM)
Design Lab: Engaging
Faith/Volunteer Community (Thursday, March 26th: 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM)
Design Lab: Diverse
Abilities (Thursday, March 26th: 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM)
2019/2020 Key Date Calendar
2018 - 2023 Nanaimo Action Plan to End Homelessness
Nanaimo Affordable Housing Strategy
Terms of Reference
2020 Membership List