Community Vitality Committee
The purpose of the Committee is to bring together community members to provide education, advice and recommendations to Council on policies and programs for the arts, culture, heritage and social planning, in order to support an inclusive, healthy and vital community. The Committee’s purpose is to provide Council advice and recommendations on the following:
- Planning and developing heritage conservation services and facilities.
- Fostering creativity, planning and developing arts and cultural programs, services, and facilities.
- Social planning in areas such as: education, poverty reduction, affordable housing, homelessness, food security, protection of the vulnerable, harm reduction, social isolation, and social connectivity.
- Strategizing to address environmental responsibility, social equity, cultural vitality, and a healthy and sustainable community.
The membership of the Committee will be as follows:
- a minimum of seven (7) members; and
- a minimum of three (3) members of Council.
An individual with the following skills and expertise in at least one of the following categories may be given preference for membership on this Committee:
- Broad-based social perspective on community issues, social equity, and/or multiculturalism ; and
- Broad-based arts, environment, culture and/or heritage perspective on community issues.
If there are any City Grants related to the Committee the following process will take place:
- The grant application is received by the City.
- A Staff/peer review takes place to ensure the applications meet the criteria for a specific grant.
- The applications that meet the criteria are put on a list in order of relevance by Staff.
- Staff recommend recipients from the list provided for the grant to the Finance and Audit Committee for approval.
In addition to regularly scheduled meetings, the Committee will meet upon call of the Chair or the request of two Committee Members.
The following City Departments may provide support to the Committee in accordance with the City of Nanaimo Committee Operating Guidelines:
- Community Development
- City Clerk
- Parks & Recreation
- Other Staff as required
Key Date Calendar (PDF)
2018 Key Date Calendar (PDF)
Terms of Reference (PDF)
Community Vitality Committee Membership List (PDF)