Community Planning and Development Committee
The purpose of the Committee is to bring a broad community-based perspective to the
monitoring, implementation, and amendment of the City’s Official Community Plan (OCP),
Transportation Plan, Zoning Bylaw and associated plans.
The purpose of the Committee is to provide Council recommendations on the following:
- development proposals which require amendments to the OCP and/or Zoning Bylaw;
- proposed changes to the OCP and related community planning and development
- rezoning applications to ensure proposed developments comply with relevant
- community perspective to the planning and approval process;
- strategies to integrate principles economic health, social equity, land use,
sustainability, and environmental into all aspects of planning and development;
- implementation and education of the Transportation Master Plan; and
- regional transportation initiatives as they relate to planning and development.
The membership of the Committee will be as follows:
- a minimum of seven (7) members; and
- three (3) members of Council.
Additional non-voting representatives will be invited to participate as required for neighbourhood
An individual who is a member of one of the following communities may be given preference for
membership on this Committee:
- business community;
- neighbourhood associations;
- development community;
- transportation user groups;
- broad-based perspective of planning and development; and
- environmental stewardship and sustainability.
If there are any City Grants related to the Committee the following process will take place:
- The grant application is received by the City.
- A Staff/peer review takes place to ensure the applications meet the criteria for a specific
- The applications that meet the criteria are put on a list in order of relevance by Staff.
- Staff recommend recipients from the list provided for the grant to the Finance and Audit
Committee for approval.
In addition to regularly scheduled meetings, the Committee will meet upon call of the Chair or
the request of two Committee Members.
The following City Departments may provide support to the Committee in accordance with the
City of Nanaimo Committee Operating Guidelines:
- Community Development
- Engineering and Public Works
- City Clerk
- Other Staff as required
2018 CPD Key Date Calendar (PDF)
Terms of Reference (PDF)
Membership List (PDF)