All recommendations coming out of the Governance and Priorities Committee meeting will be going to Council for their consideration and/or final approval.
Building Permit Function Review
Council was provided with the Building Permit Function Review draft report by Neilson Strategies Inc. for consideration and presented with the following recommendations:
1. Council refer the additional staff positions recommended in the draft report to the Finance and Audit Committee for consideration in the 2021-2025 Financial Plan.
2. Council direct staff to proceed with implementation of the remaining six recommended changes outlined in the draft report.
3. Council direct staff to submit a grant application to the Union of British Columbia Municipalities’ Local Government Development Approvals Program to support the implementation of established best practices and to test innovative approaches to improve development approvals processes.
Section 6 a, 1
REIMAGINE Nanaimo Update on City Portrait
Council was provided an update on the City Portrait for REIMAGINE Nanaimo regarding targets, indicators and next steps.
Section 6 b, 1
Strengthening Communities Service Grant Opportunity
Council was presented with the Strengthening Communities Services Program which is focused on supporting unsheltered homeless populations and addressing related community impacts. This project is fully funded by the Federal and Provincial governments.
Section 6 e, 1
Art in Public Spaces Working Group - Draft Guidelines and Process
Council was provided a proposal to form an Art in Public Spaces Working Group.
Recommendation: Council endorse the Art in Public Spaces Working Group Guidelines, Call for Applications and direct staff to proceed.
Section 6 e, 2
Art in Public Spaces Public Art Collection De-accession 2021
Council was provided with the proposed removal of three artworks from the City of Nanaimo’s Public Art Collection including:
1. Dan Richey, Dungeness Crab (2013)
2. Yvonne Vander Kooi and students of Bayview Elementary, The Hummingbird Project (2013)
3. Yvonne Vander Kooi, At Play (2007)
Section 6 e, 3
Mayor's Leaders' Table
Council was presented options to establish a Mayor’s Leaders’ Table to Advise, Inform and Collaborate Across the Community to further Nanaimo’s opportunities and address challenges.
Recommendation: Council establish the Mayor’s Leaders’ Table with representation of: Mayor and two Council members; key social, cultural, educational, healthcare, technology, labour, arts, tourism and business organizations. The Mayor’s Leaders’ Table would be chaired by the Mayor and subject to applicable Legislative Support and oversight.
Section 6 e, 4, 1
Nanaimo Builds - 100,000 Voices Campaign Concept
Mayor and Council were presented with a citizen-directed campaign concept consistent with Nanaimo BUILDS, one of six recommendations that came from the Mayor’s Task Force on Recovery and Resilience.
Recommendation: Council direct staff to develop the 100,000 Voices Campaign Concept and report back to Council with the marketing and communications plan, including a budget.
Section 6 e, 4, 2
March 22, 2021 Governance and Priorities Committee Meeting – agenda, documents and video