CANNABIS TASK FORCE UPDATE
The work of the Cannabis Task Force is now complete. The hard work completed by the Task Force will allow the City of Nanaimo to move forward with an approach for addressing the impacts and opportunities for Cannabis legalization.
The Task Force worked diligently during their meetings and have now put forward a series of recommendations for Council's consideration. These recommendations were presented to Council at the regular Council meeting on July 9, 2018 and were endorsed by Council. As such, the associated amendment bylaws are now scheduled to proceed with consideration of final adoption in the Fall of 2018.
The purpose of the task force is to consider the community impacts and implications of the pending legalization of non-medical cannabis and make recommendations to Council.
The task force will be required to:
- review the existing and proposed regulatory framework;
- identify implications of the pending legislation on the community, including planning, building, bylaw enforcement and public safety;
- receive input from stakeholders; and
- make recommendations with respect to potential amendments to the City’s:
- Zoning Bylaw – official names
- Business Licensing Bylaw
- Smoking Bylaw
- and other bylaws as the task force sees fit.
To view meeting minutes visit the Meeting Documents and Videos Page.