The purpose of the task force is to consider the community impacts and implications of the pending legalization of non-medical cannabis and make recommendations to Council.
The task force will be required to:
- review the existing and proposed regulatory framework;
- identify implications of the pending legislation on the community, including planning, building, bylaw enforcement and public safety;
- receive input from stakeholders; and
- make recommendations with respect to potential amendments to the City’s:
- Zoning Bylaw – official names
- Business Licensing Bylaw
- Smoking Bylaw
- and other bylaws as the task force sees fit.
Sadie Beaudoin-Lobb, Community Planning and Development Committee, City of Nanaimo
Dr. Paul Hasselback, Medical Health Officer CI, Island Health
Robert Laurie, Advisory Board Chair, Liberty Leaf
Philippe Lucas, Vice President of Patient Advocacy, Tilray
Dennis McMahon, Community Vitality Committee, City of Nanaimo
Rob Whitton, Public Safety Committee, City of Nanaimo
Representation from RCMP
To view meeting minutes visit the Meeting Documents and Videos Page.
The next meeting is June 12, 2018 at 3:00 p.m. in the SARC Boardroom, located at 411 Dunsmuir Street.