Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems (RPAs) in Parks
Flying of model aircraft and drones
The two locations are approved for flying to members of the Nanaimo Model Airs Club and individuals with a permit from the Director of Parks and Recreation for the period of the pilot project.
- Model aircraft shall only be operated in accordance with MAAC Safety Code.
- Do not fly aircraft while user groups or maintenance staff are on the field.
- New or inexperienced flyers must never fly alone or without an instructor.
- At Serauxmen Sports Fields: Electric-powered aircraft only and 3 fixed wing RPAs may be in the airspace at any given time
- At Elaine Hamilton Park: Open for Drone Flying only.
- Fly within the boundaries of the sports field at both locations
Info for Nanaimo Model Airs Club
For information regarding joining Nanaimo Model Airs Club, please contact the club by phone at:
For Fixed Wing flyers
Maps (clickable link to PDF)
If you are not a member of the Nanaimo Model Airs Club, you will need to receive a permit from the Director of Parks and Recreation by showing proof of a Transport Canada licence and be a paid member of MAAC for insurance purposes.
The pilot project is in effect from 2019-JUL-01 to 2020-JUN-30. Following the 1-year pilot project, Staff will review and bring forward a recommendation to Council. Feedback during the pilot period is welcome and can be directed by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.