Official Community Plan Amendment Applications
If you are proposing a rezoning inconsistent with the policies or land use designations of the Official Community Plan, you may require an Official Community Plan Amendment.
Why would I need to amend the Official Community Plan?
An amendment to the Official Community Plan (OCP) is required when a development proposal (such as a rezoning or subdivision application) is inconsistent with the objectives and policies of the OCP. The OCP amendment application must be approved before the rezoning application can be considered by Council; however, both the rezoning and OCP amendment application can be considered concurrently.
All properties within the City of Nanaimo are given a land use designation in the Official Community Plan, noted in Map 1: Future Land Use. If a property is included in a Neighbourhood Plan, it may also have an applicable, more detailed land use designation. You can review the objectives and policies related to your property’s land use designation by reading the relevant sections in the OCP and/or neighbourhood plan.
What is the process for an Official Community Plan Amendment application?
- Pre-application Meeting: A pre-application meeting with City staff helps you determine what documents you need to make your application.
- Submit Application (Process Begins): All applications to amend the OCP must be submitted by May 1st or November 1st. Submit your complete application, including the application fee.
- Community Planning and Development Committee (CPDC) Review (Month 2):
CPDC is an advisory group appointed by Council to provide recommendations on bylaw amendments. Once your application is complete, you will have the opportunity to present your application to CPDC at their next meeting. CPDC makes a recommendation to Council about whether or not to approve your application.
- Comprehensive Review (Months 1-3):
As part of the application review, Staff will refer your application to other City departments and external agencies to ensure we comprehensively review your application. Further information may be requested.
- Council: 1st & 2nd Readings (Months 3-4): A Staff report and bylaw are forwarded to Council for consideration of 1st & 2nd readings.
- Public Hearing (Month 5): Statutory notification to the public occurs and the applicant presents the application to Council at the public hearing. The public may speak for or against the application at the public hearing. No new information can be presented to Council by the applicant or the public regarding the application following the close of the public hearing.
- Council: 3rd Reading (Month 6): Council considers 3rd Reading of the bylaw based on input from City staff, PTAC and the Public Hearing.
- Council: 4th Reading (Bylaw Adoption) (Month 7): Council considers 4th Reading (adoption) of the bylaw. If approved, the OCP amendment process is complete.
What is the fee for an Official Community Plan Amendment application?
The Application fee is $1000. Newspaper advertising costs for Public Hearing can vary.
When do I need to apply for an Official Community Plan Amendment?
There are two opportunities each year to amend the OCP. All applications to amend the OCP must be submitted by May 1st or November 1st. As every property and development proposal is unique, application requirements can vary. Before you apply, please contact us to set up a meeting to discuss your application. We will help guide you through the application process.
OCP Amendment Application Form (PDF)
OCP Amendment Application Checklist (PDF)
Appointment of Agent Form (PDF)