is an international celebration to raise awareness of the importance of our oceans. In 2021, we will be once again doing this virtually and encouraging families and individuals to think about ways you can be good stewards of these waters that connect us together.
What will your pledge be for 2021 to make positive changes to support a healthier ocean?
How do you connect with the Ocean? Fun Fact - Did you know that most of the oxygen on our planet is produced by ocean plants, seaweed and plankton?
- reflect with students from the Khaled bin Sultan Living Oceans Foundation art Science without Borders Challenge. Every year, this international contest engages students in ocean conservation through art, encouraging them to create pieces that inspire people to preserve, protect, and restore the world’s oceans and aquatic resources.
- Enjoy Coastal Scenery – with The Marine Detective and Dry Land sung by Joan Armatrading
Discover the amazing Biodiversity that lives below the surface.
What can you do to be stewards of the waters around you? A healthy ocean is a critical part of the solution to our climate crisis. How can you support the initiative to protect 30% of our blue planet by 2030? #Protect30X30
- Avoid buying single-use plastics.
- Consider using reusable water bottles and shopping bags.
- Reduce the amount of microplastics that end up in the ocean by buying clothing made from natural fibres.
- Help keep our air clean.
- Only eat fish which are not endangered.
- Save water not waste water.
- Pick up litter where you find it – eventually everything flows down to the ocean.
- Find out more about how to organize a Shoreline Clean up in your Community
- Support other shoreline clean ups along our beautiful Vancouver Island Coastline organized by Rugged Coast Research Society.
Or join the Parks, Recreation and Culture staff June 8 at ...
Departure Bay Beach from 11:30-12:30 or
Maffeo Sutton Park from 1:00 -2:00
...for a shoreline clean at your local beaches.
- Celebrate Oceans Day and the global call to action of safeguarding at least 30% of the worlds oceans by 2030 - "30X30"with the power of art. Learn more at https://pearlprotectors.org/world-oceans-day-through-art/With us on line and with your families and friends.
- Celebrate with us virtually by looking back and then moving forward with your personal call to action.