Poetry in Transit Program
Deadline for submissions was April 30, 2019.
Please check back here for updates and the next round of intake.
Want to be directly notified of poetry-related City initiatives?
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to our Poet contact list.
About the Poetry in Transit Program
Inspired by City of Nanaimo’s Poet Laureate Ms. Tina Biello, invites you to end your short poems, haiku, prose poems, or excerpts from longer poems, 3-5 lines total, to the "Poetry in Transit - Call for Poetry". Let’s celebrate poetry and hear your voices.
The 2018/2019 theme is "Caring for Others". Help us see what you see and hear what you hear. Share your poetry stories about Nanaimo with the many passengers who ride the bus with you every day. Select poems will be chosen to appear on the bus and program promotional materials.
Poets are asked to:
The rules are simple:
- Compose a poem related to the theme "Caring for Others" in 50 words or less, not counting the title.
- Format their poem as it should appear.
- Review their application for accuracy.
- Up to three (3) poems per Regional District of Nanaimo or City of Nanaimo resident.
- Poems are required to be the applicant’s original work, 3-5 lines total and 50 words or less, not counting the title. The poem should be solely written by you (If your poem is selected you will be asked to sign a declaration that the poem is your work alone and that you have the rights to it. Submissions from people under 18 will require a parent’s signature).
- Copyright for published poems remain with the authors.
- All poets grant The City of Nanaimo and the Regional District of Nanaimo the right to display the selected poems.
Poems will be selected on the basis of:
- Relation to the theme "Caring for Others"
- Artistic merit
- Appropriateness for display on the bus and online
- Compliance with instructions
How to submit your poem(s):
- E-mail two copies of your poem as pdf attachments (in Times New Roman, 12 point). One pdf attachment should have your name, address, e-mail, and phone # written above the poem; the other attachment should contain only the poem.
- Send your poems to email@example.com with the words "Poetry in Transit" in the subject line.
- The deadline for submissions is April 30, 2019. Check back here for updates and the next round of intake.
We thank all poets in advance for their submissions, but only those poets whose poems have been selected will be contacted. Keep a copy of your submission as it will not be returned to you.