Beyond this City’s Streets: a Poetry Anthology from Nanaimo’s Youth
Call for Poetry: Your chance to raise your voice!
The City of Nanaimo’s Inaugural Youth Poet Laureate, Kailey DeFehr, invites local poets between the ages of 15-26 to submit their original work for the chance to co-star in the city’s first ever video poetry anthology.
Limited copies of the final collection will also be available in print from the Vancouver Island Regional Library’s Harbourfront location, where selected poets will be asked to present their work on camera at the anthology’s launch on Saturday, January 19, 2019.
To qualify for selection, your poem must help us answer this question: what does it mean to be a youth in Nanaimo to you? Show us how you connect to this city we share and call home.
- Compose a poem related to the theme in 250 words or less, not including the title. Please remember to give your poem a title.
- Format your poem as it should appear and review your application for accuracy prior to submitting. Submit up to two poems per applicant.
- Poems are required to be the applicant’s original, unaided, and unpublished work. Should your poem be selected, you may be asked to sign a declaration that the poem is your work alone and that you own the rights to it.
- Copyright to your poem will remain with you, the author.
- Poems can be touching, sad, raw, funny, insightful, bitingly witty, or angry – but will not be considered if they contain obscenities or promote hatred or prejudice.
- Successful poets will be required to recite their poetry on camera and must feel comfortable doing so.
How to submit your poem:
- E-mail two copies of your poems as pdf attachments (in Times New Roman, 12 point). One pdf attachment should have your name, address, e-mail, and phone number written in the top left hand corner. The other attachment should contain only the poem.
- Send your poems to email@example.com with the words “Youth Poetry Anthology” in the subject line.
- The deadline for submissions is Friday, December 7, 2018.
We thank all poets in advance for their applications, however, only those who are selected will be notified (no later than Saturday, December 22, 2018). Keep a copy of your submission as it will not be returned to you.
Questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 250-755-4483.