Harewood Colliery Dam

Description

The Harewood Colliery Dam is a rare, tangible link with Nanaimo's industrial heritage. Built in 1910-11 by the Western Fuel Company to supply water for coal washing and for use by miners, mules and horses in the mines, the water system quickly developed an important secondary use. Homes near the pipeline were allowed to tap the line for domestic uses and eventually this water was carried to most of the homes in South Harewood. The Harewood Colliery Dam symbolizes the important role the coal company played in the everyday lives of local residents.

Telephone
Street Address

645 Wakesiah Avenue
Nanaimo

This listing does not have a map location yet.
Map Legend
Artists
Culinary Arts and Food
Cultural Facilities
Cultural Heritage
Cultural Industries
Cultural Organizations
Natural Heritage

Help us improve our website

Don't include private or financial information in this form.