City of Nanaimo Blog
ACTIVE LIFE is a monthly series in the Nanaimo News Bulletin contributed by City of Nanaimo Staff.
I don’t usually brag, but I am more than happy to tell others about how proud I am to live in this community. This amazing place, aside from its spectacular beauty, has so many recreation opportunities that are easily accessible. Just in the last few months, here some ways that I, personally, have utilized the programs and services of the Nanaimo Parks and Recreation Department:
- Listened to music at the “Concerts in the Park” series
- Cooled off at the water parks
- Attended the Family Fun Night and barbecue at Departure Bay Park
- Went public swimming at Nanaimo Aquatic Centre
- Attempted to skate at the Parent and Tot session at Nanaimo Ice Centre
- Flew a kite at Pipers Lagoon Park
- Climbed to the top of Sugarloaf Mountain and took in the views of Departure Bay
- Enjoyed a picnic at Jack Point Park
- Walked along the Queen Elizabeth Promenade
- Worked out at Beban Park Weight Room
- Searched for dinosaurs at Cable Bay Trail
- Hiked with friends through Linley Valley Park
- Helped my kids build a fort out of driftwood at Neck Point Park
- Participated in Canada Day celebrations at Maffeo Sutton Park
- Played with my kids at the new playground at Cottle Creek Park which is a project of the Partners in Parks Program
- Rode my bike along the Parkway and E&N trails
- Discovered some new trails through Planta Park
- Ran around Westwood Lake Park
- Learned about the salmon lifecycle while visiting Bowen Park
- Watched a friend’s son play a game of soccer at Beban Sports Fields
- Registered my son for the Kinder Prep Play and Learn program
- Tried the outdoor fitness equipment at Oliver Woods Outdoor Wellness Park
- Took my mom’s dog to the off-leash area at Wardropper Park
- Built sandcastles at Departure Bay Beach
- Created an art project with my kids at the summer playground program
After compiling this list, I can’t help but brag about the many things we have in our community that enhance our quality of life and contribute to our overall wellness.
I love my parks and rec. That’s for sure. Now that you’ve seen my list, what’s on yours?
Comments are moderated. Please keep them clean and respectful. Posts deemed inappropriate or promotional in nature will be removed.
Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIPPA): Information collected on this form/application is done so under the general authority of the Community Charter and FOIPPA, and is protected in accordance with FOIPPA. Personal information will only be used by authorized staff to fulfill the purpose for which it was originally collected, or for a use consistent with that purpose. For further information regarding the collection, use, or disclosure of personal information, please contact the Legislative Services Department at 250-755-4405 or at email@example.com.