Distributed February 9, 2017 9:23 AM
An update on solid waste collections - Thursday 9th February
The City of Nanaimo is attempting to collect garbage, recycling and kitchen waste today, Thursday February 9th.
Strategic Link: n/a
- Conditions today are slushy and slippery, particularly on road shoulders which is the area in which refuse collectors work.
- Residents are asked to consider their own safety and that of the refuse collector when placing out solid waste for collection.
- Please ensure it is in a safe accessible place. Place it on the edge of your property as close to the roadway as possible without being in the roadway; a good example would be an open driveway.
- A number of refuse collectors have been injured during the snowy weather. Please be aware that refuse collectors cannot climb over snow banks, walk on packed ice or walk through slushy snow to collect solid waste.
- Solid Waste collections have been impacted by the snow with some collections being missed.
- If your collection was missed please take it off the curbside and place it back out on your next scheduled collection day for that specific type of waste.
- We will take double the amount of waste on your next scheduled collection day without the need for extra tags. If you find that you have excess kitchen waste please place it in your garbage (this is an exception for the snowy weather).