Distributed October 14, 2016 9:00 AM
The Great British Columbia Shakeout
Be part of the largest earthquake drill in the world on October 20th!
On October 20, 2016, thousands of British Columbians will take part in Canada’s largest earthquake drill. At exactly 10:20 am, participants from across the province will “Drop, Cover and Hold On,” practising the internationally-recognized response for earthquake safety.
The City of Nanaimo is committed to taking part and would like all area residents, businesses and organizations to join in. During the drill, participants will be asked to “Drop, Cover and Hold On” for up to two minutes in response to a simulated earthquake.
Drop, Cover and Hold On” urges individuals to:
- Drop to the ground (before the earthquake drops you);
- Take Cover by getting under a sturdy desk or table; and,
- Hold On until the shaking stops.
In 2015, more than 776,000 British Columbians participated in the drill, joining 40 million people worldwide. Register yourself or your organization today at www.shakeoutbc.ca. The annual drill is also an excellent opportunity to consider whether you’re personally prepared for a major emergency. For more on getting ready, visit www.shakeoutbc.ca and www.gov.bc.ca/PreparedBC.
Strategic Link: The City of Nanaimo is committed to Public Safety.
- The Great BC Shakeout Drill will take place on Thursday, October 20 at 10:20 am and will last for up to two minutes.
- Drop to the ground (before the earthquake drops you); Take Cover by getting under a sturdy desk or table; and, Hold On until the shaking stops.
- Local radio stations, 102.3 The Wave and 106.9 the Wolf, will broadcast the drill live on air.