Distributed September 8, 2016 10:30 AM
City Seeking Public Nominations for the 2017 Culture and Heritage Awards
Showcasing excellence in culture and heritage
The City of Nanaimo recognizes outstanding organizations, groups or individuals in the arts, culture & heritage fields. The public is invited to nominate organizations or individuals for the following award categories:
* EXCELLENCE IN CULTURE
* HONOUR IN CULTURE
* EMERGING CULTURAL LEADER
* JOHN THOMSON HERITAGE MEMORIAL
This is your opportunity to recognize people and groups you believe have made a significant contribution to making Nanaimo a culturally vibrant city. Nominations are reviewed with recommendations being made to City Council. Recipients are recognized at a special celebration at the Port Theatre in April 2017.
Nomination forms are available on the City's website, attached to this press release, or by contacting the Culture and Heritage Department directly.
Nominations will be accepted until November 16, 2016.
Strategic Link: Corporate Strategic Plan (2016-19) "Culture Vitality"-These awards will ensure that Nanaimo will have a strong and vibrant culture which evolves with a coordinated effort leading to greater popularity as a place to visit, live, work and play. A Cultural Plan for a Creative Nanaimo (2014-2020) - strengthening the Creative Sector, Connectivity, Connecting people, communities and ideas.
- The EXCELLENCE IN CULTURE award is presented to an organization or individual that has achieved regional and/or national recognition in the field of arts and is recognized as a “Nanaimo artist", demonstrating excellence in their field, and a significant inspiration to others.
- The HONOUR IN CULTURE award is presented to an individual, group or corporation that is known for their dedication and support of the development of Nanaimo’s cultural sector.
- The EMERGING CULTURAL LEADER award recognizes up-and-coming, Nanaimo-based cultural leaders. This award targets individuals under 30 years of age who have contributed significantly to the cultural life in Nanaimo.
- The JOHN THOMSON HERITAGE MEMORIAL award honours individuals who demonstrate outstanding heritage service and dedication to the community.
- The Culture and Heritage Awards began in 1998.
- Past winners include Fred Peters, Diana Krall and many others.