Distributed August 22, 2016 9:00 AM
Upcoming maintenance closure for Nanaimo Aquatic Centre
Starting Monday, August 29, the Nanaimo Aquatic Centre (NAC) will be closed for annual maintenance.
This year work includes replacing the three metre diving board and stand, touch-up painting throughout the facility, retiling and regrouting as needed, slide maintenance, general maintenance of the pool heat exchangers, circulating pumps and play equipment and extensive cleaning of the whole facility.
Strategic Link: Community Wellness; Recreation, Culture, Sports, and Tourism
- Nanaimo Aquatic Centre will be closed for annual maintenance Monday, August 29 and will reopen Monday, September, 26.
- The Beban Park pool and weight room will have extended operating hours during the NAC shutdown. Please note all facilities are closed on Labour Day, Monday, September 5 however, lifeguards will be on duty at Westwood Lake from 12 pm to 6 pm that day.
- The weight room in NAC will reopen on Monday, September 12 with reduced operating hours of 8:30 am to 7:00 pm daily until Monday, September 26.
- Maintenance of City facilities happens on a daily basis, but major jobs like painting, fixing equipment and deep cleaning can only be done when the facility is empty for an extended period of time.
- It takes a few days just to empty the pool before work can begin.