Distributed July 6, 2016 9:00 AM
Upcoming annual maintenance closure for Beban Park pool and weight room
The Beban Park pool and weight room will close for just over a month for annual maintenance starting Monday, July 18 and will reopen Monday, August 22.
A variety of cleaning and maintenance work will be completed this year including touch up painting and regrouting where needed throughout the facility, extensive cleaning of all change room lockers and athletic equipment and replacing any missing tiles in the pools, change rooms and on the pool deck. The pool circulating pumps and heat exchangers will all receive regular maintenance as will the new water features in the leisure pool. And the glass roof in the lobby will be repleaced.
During the closure, patrons are encouraged to enjoy the facilities in Nanaimo Aquatic Centre and lifeguards are on duty daily during the summer at Westwood Lake.
Strategic Link: The Beban pool and weight room maintenance shutdown support the Asset Management priority.
- Beban Park pool and weight room will be closed for maintenance Monday, July 18 and will reopen Monday, August 22.
- Nanaimo Aquatic Centre will be open during the maintenance shutdown and lifeguards will be on duty from 12:00 pm to 6:00 pm daily at Westwood Lake Park.
- The City aims to keep shutdowns as short as possible and schedules them during the summer months when outdoor activities are the focus for many people.
- All City facilities are closed on BC Day (August 1) and Labour Day (September 5).
- Maintenance of City facilities happens on a daily basis, but major jobs like painting, fixing equipment and deep cleaning can only be done when the facility is empty for an extended period of time.
- It takes a few days just to empty the pool before work can begin.