Distributed June 16, 2016 1:15 PM
Road paving season is now upon us
Drivers advised to watch for construction signs and road crews
Council has awarded the 2016 Capital Paving Program tender and planning for this years asphalt paving season is underway. Through the City's annual Road Rehabilitation Program, the following roads are scheduled for paving between June and October:
• Nanaimo Lakes Road – Lincoln Road to Wakesiah Avenue
• Oceanview Terrace – Norasea Road to Bayshore Drive
• Nanaimo Lakes Road between Lincoln Road and Harewood Mines Road
• Park Avenue – Fifth Street to Sixth Street
• Howden Drive - Ross Road to the End
• Victoria Road – Rainer Street to Needham Street
• Terminal Avenue – Stewart Avenue to St George Street (repairs only)
Paving is weather sensitive so schedules will change. Traffic delays can be expected, but as a minimum, single lane alternating traffic will be maintained at all times. Sign boards will be posted on major roads to advise commuters in advance of the exact dates for the work. Residents and businesses fronting the paving locations will receive written project notices.
Strategic Link: The City's Road Rehabilitation Program supports the City of Nanaimo's commitment to asset management.
- Drivers are urged to use extra caution when driving through construction zones; be aware of on-site workers; obey posted construction signs; and follow the directions of traffic control personnel.
- Local businesses in construction zones are always accessible and open for business.
- To get to your destination on time, commuters on affected routes are encouraged to leave a few minutes early or find an alternate route.
- The City's 2016 capital budget for road paving is $3,025,272