Distributed May 4, 2016 9:52 AM
City of Nanaimo Celebrates Public Art Week, May 16-20
Nine new pieces of temporary art to be installed
The City of Nanaimo is celebrating Public Art Week from May 16 to 20, 2016. Nine new pieces of temporary art were approved for 2016 and will be installed throughout the city in anticipation of Public Art Week. Over the course of the week, residents are encouraged to explore and celebrate the collection of public art found throughout Nanaimo. The following artworks will be installed:
* SQAE-AM by William Good
* RESONANCE by Scott Gillies
* l-o-v-e IS IN THE AIR by Mia Tremblay & Craig Lambie
* CEREBRUM DIGITALIS by Maggie Wouterloot
* COASTAL CONNECTIONS by Laura Timmermans
* PASSAGE by Labspace Studio
* CORE by Bryan Faubert
* KELP by Angellos Glaros
* THE PORTHOLE by Bil Derby, Cherine & Will Melville, & Victoria Drakeford
To date, PASSAGE and CORE have installed at Maffeo Sutton Park.
Public art is created by artists for public sites. It increases sense of place for individual neighbourhoods and the city as a whole. Some art pieces are permanent (such as "Pacific Sails" on the Harbourfront Walkway), and others are temporary. Public art energizes public spaces, promotes thinking and debate, and transforms the places we live, work and play into a more welcoming and beautiful setting.
How will you celebrate Public Art Week?
Strategic Link: Public Art Week furthers the goals of the Cultural Vitality (Creativity, Diversity, Heritage and Innovation) pillar of the City’s Strategic Plan by promoting ongoing investment in public art.
- The City of Nanaimo will celebrate Public Art Week from May 16 to 20.
- Nine new pieces of temporary art were approved for 2016, and will be installed in anticipation of Public Art Week.
- Residents are encouraged to explore and celebrate the collection of public art found throughout our City.
|Start time:||Mon, May 16, 12:00 AM|
|End time:||Fri, May 20, 12:00 AM|
|Add this event to your calendar|