Distributed April 14, 2016 3:30 PM
Construction at the Lower Colliery Dam set to wrap-up soon
Crews nearing final stage of completing the auxiliary spillway
The City of Nanaimo is anticipating work associated with the structural construction of an auxiliary spillway near the lower dam in Colliery Dam Park will be completed over the next few days. With this phase of the project finished, attention will turn to the following:
* Constructing the entrance channel to the spillway and removing the soil plug
* Back-filling the spillway structure
* Installing a handrail and finishing off the bridge deck
* Installing a boom in front of the existing spillway and auxiliary spillway.
* Initiating landscaping work and trail reinstatement
* Removing contractor equipment
Strategic Link: N/A
- While construction associated with the building of the auxiliary spillway is now winding down, members of the public are advised work related to the spillway project continues nearby, hence areas in the park near the lower dam remain closed. Warnings and detour signs must still be observed.
- Updates, including photos, concerning construction of the auxiliary spillway can be found on the Colliery Dams Information page, located on the City's website.