Distributed March 16, 2016 1:45 PM
Council adopts portfolio system for City departments
Nanaimo City Council is taking steps to enhance the day-to-day governance of City operations by introducing a portfolio system that will see each member of Council assigned one of nine departments via a rotating three month schedule. The new portfolio system will provide individual Councillors an opportunity to gain insight and knowledge into each department, allowing them to become more familiar with City business and improve their interaction with City management.
The nine portfolio areas are as follows:
* Culture, Heritage and Strategic Relationships
* Parks, Recreation and Environment
* Information Technology, Legislative Services and Communications
* Community Development
* Social and Protective Services
* Nanaimo Fire Rescue
* Engineering and Public Works
The changes being made will also include a greater role for the City's Acting Mayor who, in conjunction with the portfolio lead, will participate at business meetings attended by the Mayor. Both changes are intended to enhance City governance duties through the full and active participation of Council and greater interaction between Council and management.
Strategic Link: Taking responsibility to be an excellent municipal government.
- The new portfolio system will give Council members a greater opportunity to learn more about areas outside their normal committee work.
- While holding a three month portfolio assignment, Council members will join the Mayor in serving as a spokesperson for media enquiries on issues that fall within their associated department. Councillors will also join the Mayor in attending events for which their portfolio is the focus.