Distributed February 25, 2016 10:00 AM
City promoting need for rental housing for Syrian refugees
The City of Nanaimo has convened a "Syrian Refugee Coordinating Support Committee" with the goal of assisting private sponsors and the Central Vancouver Island Multicultural Society in aiding Syrian refugee families arriving in Nanaimo. As part of the outreach taking place, the City is promoting the need for ten or more three bedroom dwelling units that can be rented for under $1000 a month or five bedroom units for $1500.
Strategic Link: Taking responsibility to be an excellent municipal government.
- Families fleeing the war in Syria are being resettled in Nanaimo.
- The City of Nanaimo is facilitating a coordinated response to support the effective integration of those families into our community.
- There is a need for affordable rental housing of ten or more three to five bedroom units for Syrian refugee families.
- Private sponsor groups are expected to cover accommodation costs for their sponsored families for the first year while Government Assisted Refugees are provided with financial support equivalent to Income Assistance rates for one year.
- Income Assistance rates amount to approximately $1500 per month for a family of two adults and five children, with about $900 of that allocated as the "shelter portion".