Distributed February 2, 2016 11:00 AM
City to Celebrate Heritage Week with Annual Heritage Summit on February 17
Heritage groups gather to share information
On Wednesday February 17, 2016, the City of Nanaimo's Culture & Heritage Department will host the annual Heritage Summit at the Nanaimo Museum from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm. The purpose of the summit is to heighten heritage awareness in the community during Provincial Heritage Week (February 15-21), and to network with other local organizations interested in heritage issues. Everyone is welcome to attend.
* CHARACTERS, CON MEN & CELEBRITIES -- Enjoy a presentation by Ms. Aimee Greenaway, Nanaimo Museum Interpretive Curator: Explore the lives of intriguing people from Nanaimo's past. Petty thieves, a suspected German spy, murderers, crooked cops and politicians rub shoulders with a nationally renowned poet, a war hero, the world's fastest man, and women who overcame race and gender discrimination.
* HERITAGE CONSERVATION PROGRAM UPDATE & REVIEW -- Chris Sholberg, Culture & Heritage Planner, will provide an overview of the City's Heritage Conservation Update & Review.
* ROUNDTABLE DISCUSSION -- Culture and heritage groups in attendance will share their mandate, recent accomplishments and upcoming projects.
For more information, contact the Culture & Heritage Department directly.
Strategic Link: The Heritage Summit furthers the goals of Cultural Vitality (Creativity, Diversity, Heritage and Innovation) Pillar of the Strategic Plan.
- The Heritage Summit is intended to heighten awareness in the community of Nanaimo's Heritage during Provincial Heritage Week (February 15-21).
- The Heritage Summit encourages networking between local organizations interested in heritage issues. Everyone is welcome to attend.
- This year's summit will feature a presentation by Ms. Aimee Greenaway (Nanaimo Museum) called "CHARACTERS, CON MEN & CELEBRITIES".
- Heritage Week is an annual, province-wide celebration that begins on National Heritage Day (the third Monday in February).
|Start time:||Wed, Feb 17, 7:00 PM|
|End time:||Wed, Feb 17, 9:00 PM|
|Add this event to your calendar|