Distributed January 22, 2016 10:15 AM
Calling all Poets for "Poetry in Transit" Program
Let’s celebrate poetry and get creative about Nanaimo!
The City of Nanaimo is currently seeking poetry submissions through the "Poetry in Transit" program. The theme is "Riding the Bus". Poets will contribute works that are in some way related to a particular point on a route, a site in Nanaimo or the experience shared while riding the bus. Poems will be selected on the basis of their relation to the theme “riding the bus”, artistic merit and appropriateness for display, either on the bus or online.
Inspired by Nanaimo's Poet Laureate, this partnership between the City of Nanaimo, the Regional District of Nanaimo and the Vancouver Island Regional Library is a way for the many riders of Nanaimo's public transit to rethink and re-know their city.
Strategic Link: Ensure that Nanaimo will have a strong and vibrant culture which evolves with a coordinated and collaborative effort leading to greater popularity as a place to visit, live, work and play.
- The "Poetry in Transit" Program is intended to ask the reader to explore the city through poetry, to understand the spaces and experiences within it differently because of the poems.
- Poets who currently live within the Regional District of Nanaimo and the City of Nanaimo can submit their poems to firstname.lastname@example.org. Poets can submit up to three (3) poems for review.
- Poems should be only 3-5 lines (50 words or less) not counting the title.
- The theme for the 2016 program is "Riding the Bus".
- Riding the bus is a unique experience in public space, rich with both stories and character. It’s an experience where, for a short while, everyone is moving in a similar direction.
- Reading poetry provides an opportunity to gain a new understanding of the spaces, places and daily routines that we might think we know so well. Perhaps the poetry here will provoke us view and think about Nanaimo and our own experiences differently.