Stylesheets: Screen version | Mobile

Letters Patent and Orders in Council

"Letters Patent", as a documentary form, date back to medieval England. Initially, they were created by the Monarch to be read aloud as a proclamation granting status to an entity. The City of Nanaimo was incorporated as a municipality by means of Letters Patent, issued on 1875-DEC-24, in the name of the Queen under the Public Seal of the Province.

The City's first Letters Patent were revoked in 1975 in order to reflect the amalgamation of outlying areas into the City. A number of Letters Patent have been issued which have defined the City of Nanaimo as a municipality.

Following are the City of Nanaimo Letters Patent:


"Orders in Council"
are the supporting documentation to the Letters Patent and also require the approval of the Lieutenant Governor under the Public Seal of the Province.

Following are the City of Nanaimo Orders in Council:

Minor Navigation

Share