Culture & Heritage Commission
The Nanaimo Culture and Heritage Commission acts as a resource to Council by providing policy advice for the planning, development and provision of City culture and heritage services and facilities, and heritage conservation matters. The Commission will also advise Council on matters related to promoting and supporting activities that benefit and advance culture and heritage in the City.
To achieve this mandate, the Nanaimo Culture and Heritage Commission will undertake the following activities:
- Recommend policy to Council regarding the planning, development and provision of City culture and heritage services and facilities, and heritage conservation matters.
- Advise Council on cultural and heritage matters, issues and priorities.
- Advise Council on opportunities for culture and heritage development; and the implications of development on Nanaimo's heritage.
- Advise Council on heritage conservation of historical buildings, structures and sites in our community, including the conservation and importance of archaeological sites and material.
- Provide policy advice regarding public art and the Community Plan for Public Art.
- Make recommendations to Council regarding the distribution of various cultural and heritage grants.
- Maintain a cultural and heritage awards program.
Appear as a Delegation
To contact Commission members, please contact the staff liaison as appropriate. For further inquiries or to request to make a presentation, please contact the the Culture and Heritage Department at 250-755-4483 or email@example.com.Go to Top