Research & Statistics
Nanaimo Community Profile
In the last five years Nanaimo has undergone a major transformation, with strong growth in most sectors of the economy. Growth in part is driven by population increase; in the last census Nanaimo acquired 5,692 net new citizens, this represents a 7.8% increase since the previous census.
Nanaimo has a diversified economy of more than 5400 businesses. Some of Nanaimo's largest sectors by business license holders include construction, retail, government & education, knowledge-based companies, tourism, arts & culture, professional, scientific and technical sectors. Nanaimo's central location has helped the city develop as an important retail, service, and transportation centre for central and northern Vancouver Island. Nanaimo serves a trade area of over 350,000 people. Click on the link below to view the entire Community Profile.
Research Profiles are also available for the Construction, Tourism, Retail, and Infrastructure sectors. Click on link below to view the complete profiles.
- Nanaimo Construction Profile
- Nanaimo Retail Profile
- Nanaimo Tourism Profile
- Nanaimo Infrastructure Profile
Other Research & Statistics
- 2011 Nanaimo Economic Development Strategy
- 2011 Major Projects Update
- 2010 Profile of Demographic and Economic Trends in Nanaimo
- 2009 Passenger Ferry Survey Report
- 2009 Nanaimo Site Selector Profile
- 2009 Business Confidence Survey Report
- 2009 Mandarin Community Profile
- 2008 Business Transition Planning Survey Analysis
- 2007 Floatplane Survey Report
- 2002 Economic Development Strategy
- Nanaimo Census Quick Facts
- Custom Business Licence Reports
- Nanaimo Development Database Reports
- Public Reports