Stylesheets: Screen version | Mobile

Bylaw Services

The City of Nanaimo Bylaw Services Division provides the citizens of Nanaimo with a variety of services related to regulatory issues. A team of five Bylaw Officers work primarily on a reactive, complaint-driven, basis. Two of the Bylaw Officers working from the local R.C.M.P. Detachment, are responsible for enforcing the provisions of the Traffic And Highways Regulation Bylaw 1993 No. 5000 and the Commercial Vehicle Regulations.

The Bylaw Services Division attempts to gain compliance with the municipal bylaws before resorting to enforcement actions such as issuing tickets or seeking stronger legal solutions.

Clicking the following links for more information regarding bylaws:

To search other City Bylaws, you can use the Bylaw Search in the City Hall Section.

Also see the Police section of the website.




The City of Nanaimo Noise Control Bylaw 1994, No. 4750 is a bylaw that regulates or prohibits making or causing noises or sounds that disturb the quiet, rest, peace, enjoyment or convenience of individuals or the public.

The most common complaints received by the Bylaw Services include barking dogs, loud music, and noise caused by heavy machinery and construction activity.

The playing of radios and stereophonic equipment or any apparatus used for the amplification of sound where the noise is disturbing and clearly audible is prohibited before 9:00 am and after 11:00 pm.

Noise due to construction shall not be caused before 7:00 am and after 9:00 pm Monday to Saturday and before 9:00 am and after 9:00 pm on Sundays and Statutory holidays.

Noise caused by any domestic animal or bird that is persistent and creates a disturbance by its cries, barks, or howls is prohibited at any time.

Depending on the nature of the complaint, a City representative may be dispatched to the scene of difficulty, or a letter may be sent to the individual or company that is alleged to be causing the noise, advising them of the complaint and requesting compliance. Failure to comply will result in the issuance of a municipal ticket. If a ticket is issued, the complainant(s) may be required to testify in court if the allegation is disputed.

Should you wish to report a loud and/or disturbing noise outside of normal office hours, please contact the local R.C.M.P. office at (250) 754-2345.

Unsightly Property

The Property Maintenance Bylaw 1990 No. 3704 prohibits the accumulation of filth, discarded materials, rubbish, and other noxious or offensive matter on property.

When a complaint is received alleging that a property is unsightly, a Bylaw Officer will attend the property to determine if the situation warrants further action. If so, a letter is sent to the owner of the property requesting that the discarded material be removed within a set timeline. If the timeline is not met, the issue is forwarded to Council for consideration at its next meeting. At that time Council will consider using its statutory authority to order that the property be cleaned up. If compliance is not forthcoming, the City may, by its employees or other persons, enter the property and effect the removal of the material at the expense of the person who failed to comply. The cost of cleanup may be recovered by being added to taxes if unpaid. The owner of the property, at the discretion of the Bylaw Officer, may also be issued a ticket for non-compliance.

Commercial Transport

Two Bylaw Officers, who work out of the local R.C.M.P. detachment, primarily patrol and handle complaints regarding violations of the Truck Route Regulations, overweight/oversize vehicles, load securement on Commercial vehicles and other related Commercial vehicle violations. These Officers have also been certified to conduct Dangerous Goods inspections as it relates to Commercial vehicles and work in conjunction with the R.C.M.P., Commercial Vehicle Inspectors, and I.C.B.C. These officers also enforce other sections of the Traffic And Highways Regulation Bylaw 1993 No. 5000.

Traffic and Highways

The City of Nanaimo Traffic And Highways Regulation Bylaw 1993 No. 5000 is enacted pursuant to the Motor Vehicle Act, the Local Government Act, and the Highways (Scenic Improvement) Act to regulate the traffic and use of highways within the Municipality.

This Bylaw is extensive and regulates moving and non-moving violations that are enforced by Bylaw Officers and R.C.M.P..

Parking in the downtown core, and all other areas of the Municipality, is patrolled and enforced by the City's Bylaw Services Department and the R.C.M.P.. Any inquiries, complaints and disputes regarding parking facilities, fees, and tickets should be directed to the Parking Services Office by calling (250) 755-4468 or emailing


It is illegal to post any signage on City owned property without valid authorization. The Bylaw Officers will work proactively and remove signage when it is illegally posted. Contact the Bylaw Services Division for more information by calling (250) 755-4422.

There are several minor exemptions from this requirement that primarily involve temporary election signage and sandwich board signs in the downtown core.

In the case of private property, signage installation is controlled by Sign Bylaw 1987 No. 2850. The bylaw sets out allowable types, sizes and locations of signage based on zoning and location within the City. Contact the Zoning enquiry desk at (250) 755-4429 for more information.

Snow Removal

Pursuant to the Traffic And Highways Regulation Bylaw 1993 No. 5000, owners or occupiers of real property shall remove snow from sidewalks and footpaths bordering the property owned or occupied by them within 24-hours of the accumulation of the snow.

Nuisance Properties & "Grow-Ops"

Nuisance Abatement and Cost Recovery Bylaw 2003 No. 5645

The City has recently entered into a partnership with the RCMP, Vancouver Island Health Authority, Social Services and other Provincial ministries to deal with the problem of grow-ops and other nuisance properties.

Contact the Bylaw Office
Phone: (250) 755-4422

Minor Navigation